Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Touched His Heart - Literally

Russ always gave of himself in the 35 years that I've known him. The most classic example that I can think of occurred in July of 1978. We moved into our current church location in the fall of 77. The church sold its old building and borrowed more money for our current building. There was no end to the discussion of what the church needed and what we could put off for a while. "Missions" was not compromised whatsoever.

In July of the following year, Russ required open heart surgery. I worked in surgery at Methodist at the time and was honored to be part of the surgical team. Two coronary arteries were grafted. I went to visit him as he recovered and he had an idea about how to help raise money for the Building Fund. He would charge people $1 apiece to look at his scars and donate the money and wanted to know what I thought. I was thunderstruck that my senior minister would ask me for advice but I said "Sounds good to me." Because I was in that surgery, my claim to fame is that I'm one of four people on this earth that had touched Russ Blowers heart ... literally.
Herb Goller / November 14, 2007

No comments: