Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Quick On or Off His Feet - Wesner

How fitting it was that Russ "graduated into Glory" on Veteran's Day weekend. Another of God's great soldiers got a pass to go home.

What an honor it was for me to serve on Russ' staff from 1987 until he retired. Everyone who knew Russ realized what a great visionary, pastor, husband and father he was.

After God called me on from E. 91st, I was blessed to stay in contact with this great man of God over the years via email. My journal is spiced with memories and little quips and insights of Russ.

As the lead pastor of the large church staff, the scripture that he continued to keep before us was Phil. 2:1-4. He not only preached it, he lived it. I felt that no one was more excited about my ministry area than Russ. He was constantly encouraging me and rejoicing over God's work in my ministry and family. Something tells me that every one of his staff members felt the same way.

He was a man of integrity. When I think of him I am reminded of a statement that Phil or Paul said of his father at one of Russ' anniversary celebrations... "How do I describe my dad? Perhaps with this simple phrase… 'What you see is what you get.'"

I think the thing that impressed me the most about him was his unquenchable zest for life. He was always so "young for his age." And he had such a spontaneous, wonderful sense of humor.

He was always so quick to think on his feet... or off his feet, for that matter. There was the time when Russ was going down the steps to enter the new baptistery when the church first moved to the E. 91st campus. His feet suddenly shot out from the slippery steps under him and he splashed all the way under the water! Russ popped up out of the water and, without missing a beat, spit out some water and said to the startled congregation, "Well, folks, you've just witnessed our first baptism!"

With Russ and my father awaiting me in Glory, heaven continues to become even more of that destination for which I long.

After Dad left this old world behind in 2003, Russ heard about his departure and sent me the following scripture...

"Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life." Rev. 2:10b

Now it's your turn, Russ. I know you're wearing it with joy.
Mark Wesner / November 20, 2007

No comments: