Monday, November 19, 2007

A Great Deal

I am one who came late to the cloud of admirers of Russ, although I discovered that he had known me much longer. He is a graduate of Christian Theological Seminary, where I now serve as Vice President of External Relations. Right after I came to work at CTS, I visited Russ to hear his views on the seminary. Although I of course knew about him, and he knew of my husband Randy’s work at Geist Christian Church, I didn’t think he knew me. But the first thing he said to me was “I remember the day you were born.” It seems he and my father knew each other back in Ohio. What a great capacity he had for making everyone feel precious.

This particular Russ story also involves CTS. Many of you know that Christian Theological Seminary presented Russ with an honorary doctorate this past spring. It was a great day, and we were so glad that he allowed us to honor him. I gathered together all the pictures of Russ that had been taken by various people during the ceremony to put into a small album. I spent the whole summer trying to see him to present them to him, but of course he was in Europe and then not well after coming home. I finally managed to see him briefly during one of those interludes when he was feeling a little better. I went to Brenner Luggage to get a small leather album and have it engraved with his name and the date of Commencement 2007. They told me it would be 50 cents a letter to have it engraved. I said that was fine, and wrote out what I wanted printed on the album. The store manager took the paper from me and said “Oh, this is for Dr. Blowers? What an honor for us. No charge.” I told Russ that story when I gave him the album. He said “Hey, I got you a great deal!”

He did indeed. A great deal of joy to know such a man of faith. My prayers and blessings are with you all.
Ann Updegraff Spleth / November 19, 2007

No comments: