Thursday, November 15, 2007

Marian's Invitation

In 1969 my husband Ted and I, along with our 9 month old son Scott, moved back to Indianapolis. Coming from different church backgrounds, we were having difficulty finding a church to call home. My mother suggested that we talk to their neighbor, Russ Blowers, who was the minister of a nearby Christian Church. I walked across my parents' backyard and knocked on the side door of the Blowers' house. Marian met me at the door with a friendly smile and pink curlers in her hair.
"Come in," Marian said, when I told her our dilemma in finding a church for our little family.
She and I sat on the sofa in the Blowers' family room. She made me feel like I had known her for years. Finally, Marian said in her soft voice, "Come and visit East 49th Street church. You won't want to go anywhere else." That comment, which may seem somewhat arrogant, was actually said in a sweet, encouraging way.
That next Sunday we visited East 49th Street Christian Church, and heard Russ preach. In his warm baritone voice, he spoke of our Savior Jesus Christ. He spoke from his heart, in a conversational, friendly way. He made us feel that the message was for us, and us alone.
After the service, a couple introduced themselves to us and invited back to their house for pancakes. From that Sunday, and for the next 32 years, East 49th Street/East 91st Street was our home, thanks be to God for his provision and mercy.
Ted and I have many stories of how Russ and Marian Blowers affected our spiritual lives. So stay tuned!
Linda Smith / November 15, 2007

No comments: