Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Little Bit Country

Having been born into the home of a country preacher, my young life was very sheltered in many ways. Dad didn’t want us exposed to “things of the world”, and that included what we were able to listen to. So up until I was twelve years old, I only knew two forms of music – gospel and country. It was a simple life.

Many years later, and now exposed to hard rock, disco, and classical, I started attending East 91st and met Russ. Every once in a while during the delivery of a sermon, he would throw in the title of a country music song, sometimes to make fun of it, and sometimes to talk about the truth of the title. I loved those references as it took me back to my childhood and reminded me of my dad.

I can’t recall now if we had been at Russ and Marian’s raking leaves or singing Christmas carols to them, but a group of us had been at their home doing something. At the conclusion of the activity, we were invited in, where we spent quite a while sharing and laughing. I loved his stories of World War II; my dad also served, so there was that connection again. Then Russ started talking about country music, throwing out names like Eddy Arnold and Chet Atkins, Johnny Cash and Tammy Wynett. He got such a kick out of some of the crazy titles, and I knew every song he mentioned. Before long Russ and I were singing “Make the world go away; get it off my shoulders,” much to the amusement (and chagrin) of the others in the room. We laughed and hugged; it was a special “Russ and me” moment.

Through the years there were other moments with Russ that I can call my own, and I treasure those memories. My life, like so many, is richer because of his ability to give so much of himself to others.
Pam Brooks / November 18, 2007

No comments: