Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fork-It-Over

I was honored to be among a small group of the E-91st family to assist Russ in coming up with a theme for the campaign to raise funds for the Family Life Center. While meeting in Russ’s office, he suddenly flopped onto the floor in a prone position and began asking God to help us come up with a meaningful theme. I was stunned to see how humble Russ was in front of all of us. We all sat there in silence for a few minutes. The only idea that flooded my mind was, “Fork It Over!” I knew that this was not from the Lord. But if it was, it was His way of humor. So I looked seriously at Russ and said, “The Lord has spoken to me and given me the theme.” Russ, eyes wide in anticipation said, “Kenny, coming from you… I know this is going to be wonderful!” We made drilling eye contact and with as much seriousness as I could muster, I said, “Fork It Over.” He let that sink in for a moment… then suddenly burst into infectious laughter and managed to say, “That’s it. Right to the point. I’ll use it next Sunday!” Then he got up from the floor, came over and gave me a bear hug and whispered in my ear, “You weren’t really serious were you?” He ultimately came up with “Standing Firm.” Much better choice.
Ken Nelson / Novmeber 14, 2007

No comments: