Sunday, November 18, 2007

Goodnight Kiss - McGriff

Russ and I always liked each other, and I always considered him to be one of this city's finest pastors, but our theology was somewhat different, mine the more liberal. So as I sat on the floor next to Russ at an informal workshop setting at the Young Life camp in Colorado, it being mainly peopled that evening, by charismatic folks who believed in a lot of hugging, and that no service should end while anyone wanted to pray, I decided to slip out. It had been going on for over an hour with no sign of letting up, so I whispered an apology to Russ, then quietly headed for bed. An hour later there was a knock at my door. I climbed out of bed, opened the door and there stood Russ with a big grin on his face. He said "Hi Carver, I just stopped to kiss you goodnight."

On that same visit to Young Life Camp in Colorado, Russ and I played tennis. Russ had just had heart surgery. We played even. I told him that in view of the outcome I was considering giving up tennis.
Carver McGriff / November 17, 2004
Former pastor of St. Luke's United Methodist Church

No comments: